Fury could be stripped of WBO belt
According to Dan Rafael of espn.com, unified heavyweight titlist Tyson Fury could be stripped of his title after several cancellations of his rematch with former champion Wladimir Klitschko.
Fury will have to uodate the WBO of his health stauts.
Mick Hennessy, Fury’s promoter, did not specify a reason for Fury’s withdrawal other than to say he had been “declared medically unfit to fight. Medical specialists have advised that the condition is too severe to allow him to participate in the rematch and that he will require treatment before going back into the ring. Tyson will now immediately undergo the treatment he needs to make a full recovery.”
“We are very sorry to hear the reports that you have allegedly pulled out of the October 29th bout due to a serious depression you are being treated for,” the WBO wrote to Fury on Monday. “Please know that all at the WBO are concerned for you and wish you the best for a full and complete recovery.
“As you know, since the date your title was won on November 28, 2015, you have not defended your title and you have been inactive. On June 24, 2016, an ankle injury forced you to withdraw from your heavyweight rematch against Wladimir Klitschko scheduled for July 9th in Manchester,” the WBO wrote.
“The committee may condition its approval of a disability extension upon the champion providing interim medical certifications that he is reasonably expected to recover within the term of the disability extension.”
Peter Fury, Tyson’s uncle and trainer, does not believe his nephew should be stripped of his belts.
“With Tyson’s condition, he cannot be held culpable,” he said, adding that a detailed statement on his health would be released soon. “He will not and should not be stripped of belts.”
“We would appreciate that the physician specifically clarifies the nature and extent of your condition and your prognosis for return to training and your return to competition,” the letter said.
If the WBO does not receive the information it asked for, it said it “will proceed with the necessary appropriate action without the benefit of an appeal. The WBO wishes you the best good fortune on a prompt and speedy recovery. We looked forward to your prompt response to assist (the) committee in reaching the fairest decision for you, the top contenders in the heavyweight division, and your future return to complete your world championship career.”